I don't have to go anywhere. Except, I need to go and get almond milk at some point in my immediate future. And sometime tonight, we might go out for a little bit of a feast.
But other than that, I can take my firkin time, today.
I can chill.
Last night, I went to see the latest Predator movie and... the saddest evaluation for it is that they took a step forward in having capable women in there who know how to handle themselves in a sudden battle situation.
- Interesting that they kept Science Gal(tm) in the winnebago while Team Loony was giving Standard Blonde Wife an interesting time, thus missing an opportunity to pass the Bechdel test.
- Interesting that Standard Blonde Wife spent most of her screen time dealing with assorted invaders in her home and never, apparently, leaving the house
- Interesting that they trotted out the "Autism is a step up" horseshit without even trying to justify the downsides as advantages
- Interesting that the chosen representative for Autism is still a small white boy when Autism happens across the board
- Interesting that they only narrowly avoided the "Black guy gets it first" trope, but only because some "stoner" kids got it first as a demo for how Alien Tech Is Dangerous
- Interesting that the POC and mentally disabled were the heroes who did all the literal self-sacrificing so the straight white hero could be in prime position to take the fight to the enemy
So they made A step forward. A teeny tiny baby step in the general milieu of gigantic leaps for representation literally everywhere else. I get it, though. It's hard to appease the man-children and appeal to the greater swathe of millennials at the same time.
...cue outraged whining about how the latest Predator movie "ruined [someone's] childhood" because now the women are self-rescuing.
Wow. Now I have a whole bunch of Tropes I Despise to talk about in my Wordpress account. Yay?