I try to wait a week after writing my last book to start on the next one, but… I surrendered to the temptation. And just finished the first thousand words.
Because my next book is called Kung Fu Zombies, that’s why.
In my next eight months, I shall be looking intensely at Zombie Tropes, Kung Fu Tropes, and Romance Tropes and gleefully destroying as many of them as I can inside of 120 000 words.
I already have lined up:
- no indication of love interest’s reciprocal interest until the sudden smooch-reveal in the middle of the movie
- zombies are walking corpses
- training montage of awesome
- three guys and a token girl
- token sassy POC
- exploding cars
- REM’s End of the World must play
- only the ‘proper’ people survive [aka: the disabled, the queer and the POC get it before any white cismen do]
- technomage asians
- foreign mysticism is better
- the armed forces save our central band of heroes
- the sole survivors are the hero, his love interest, a kid and a dog
- deus ex machina at the end
If you - yes you - have any hated tropes that fit the theme of the book [and I bet you can guess the theme of the book] feel free to use that ask button to send me the trope of your nightmares. I will then tell you if it’s on or going on my little list.